The macOS Catalina 10.15 SDK provides support for developing apps for Macs running macOS Catalina 10.15. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 11 beta available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 11, see Xcode 11 Beta 7 Release Notes.
- Installing third party kernel extensions now requires that you restart your Mac before they’re permitted to load. (50340461)
- During installation of macOS 10.15 you might be prompted to enter your administrator password multiple times to allow installation to proceed. (51206649)
- macOS frameworks are now thinned for the x86-64 architecture. Apps that execute i386 code now fail with the
EBADARCHerror code. The remaining stub frameworks are nonfunctional and exist only for compatibility purposes. (51236070)
- Support for signing in with an account from a different country is currently unavailable. (51240948)
- To enhance security, AppleEvents and AppleScripts that target an app on a remote system must authenticate as the same user on the remote system. An AppleEvent that targets an app running as a different user receives a
To allow remote AppleEvents to target apps in any user session, run the following command in Terminal on the server:
Then disable and reenable Remote Apple Events in System Preferences > Sharing. (5353592)
- You can now enable voice processing mode on
- You can use new
AVAudiotypes to wrap a user-defined block for sending or receiving data in real-time.
- A new method is available for an
AVAudiobased app to retrieve a list of all nodes attached to an
- A new rendering mode in
AVAudioselects the best spatial audio rendering algorithm automatically based on the output device.
- A new
AVAudioproperty allows system sounds and haptics to play while the session is actively using audio input.
- A new property,
AVAudioinforms apps which style of voice prompt they should play based on other audio activity in the system.
Session .Prompt Style
AVAudioenumeration is extended to allow apps to specify route sharing policies so their audio and video is routed to the same location as AirPlay.
Session .Route Sharing Policy
- Audio Unit Extensions now support user presets that are available across all host apps.
- The OpenAL framework is deprecated and remains present for compatibility purposes. Transition to
AVAudiofor spatial audio functionality.
AUGraphis deprecated in favor of
- Inter-App audio is deprecated. Use Audio Units for this functionality.
- Carbon component-based Audio Units are deprecated and support will be removed in a future release.
- Legacy Core Audio HAL audio hardware plug-ins are no longer supported. Use Audio Server plug-ins for audio drivers.
AVPlayerclass includes two new properties,
eligible, which you can use to determine whether an HDR display is available and can play on the current device. (35938145)
For HDRPlayback Did Change Notification
- AVFoundation now supports encoding video with alpha channels using HEVC. Videos encoded in this manner are broadly supported in AVFoundation APIs and by Safari within web pages. Technical details of the format can be found in the Interoperability Profile specification. (8045917)
- The previously deprecated 32-bit QuickTime framework is no longer available in macOS 10.15.
- The symbols for QTKit, which relied on the QuickTime framework, are still present but the classes are non-functional.
- Apps using Picture Taker must specify the
NSCamerakey to access the FaceTime camera. (47916725)
init(imageinitializers no longer support RAW decoder versions earlier than 6. Version 6 and later remain supported. (50911303)
- Added new APIs for instantiating and modifying the built-in Core Image filters.
CICorefilter is enhanced to support models with an input or output of type
Type .multi Array
CIKernelinstances now support arguments with arbitrarily structured data.
CIKernelinstances now support returning a group of two by two pixels.
- The integer values of
CIFormatsymbols, such as
ARGB8, have changed to a new set of values which are consistent across platforms. The former values remain supported for backward compatibility; however, you should avoid dependancies on specific numerical values.
kauthAPI has been deprecated. (50419013)
- After updating to macOS Catalina 10.15 Beta 7 or later, iCloud Drive might synchronize for an extended period of time. If you notice any missing files, they can be found inside a Recovered Files folder in your home folder. (54046219)
- Even when Optimize Storage is switched off, iCloud Drive might fail to automatically download all files. (50667204)
Workaround: Download files individually.
- When creating a new Pages, Numbers, or Keynote document in a shared folder, you might see the message “Couldn’t connect to iCloud”. (50827963)
Workaround: Close and reopen the document.
- The Cloud Files section in About This Mac > Storage > Manage now accurately represents the current state of files on your Mac. (50362095)
- Attempting to open iWork documents in Finder will unexpectedly create a
.cpgzfile if the corresponding iWork app isn’t installed. (40693892)
Workaround: Install the corresponding app from the App Store before opening the document.
Launch Daemons and Agents
- Launch daemons and launch agents introduce new user privacy protections. Specifying privacy-sensitive files and folders in a launchd property list might not work as expected and prevent the service from running. Having
Programpointing to an executable in a privacy sensitive location is currently allowed, but may be restricted in a future release. (49702405)
To comply with the new privacy protections, resources for a launchd service must be stored in locations that aren’t privacy sensitive. If necessary, the app can set up resources during its execution rather than using launchd property list keys, making it possible to grant the app access using System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy.
The following launchd property list keys are affected:
- Certain languages might exhibit clipped or misaligned layout. (51068688, 50983852)
- Certain languages might display unlocalized text. (47765173, 51196633)
nativemight be inaccurate. Instead, get the scale factor from the local trait collection. (54009624)
MPMediamight not display the contents of your library. (51785735)
- AppKit and Mac Catalyst apps are currently view-only clients of PencilKit. (51146823)
isAPI isn’t currently supported. (48360589)
UIDeviceand the OS Product Name is currently returned as iOS rather than macOS, which can affect diagnostic logs generated by your system. (49792004)
- Event handling in extension contexts may produce unexpected results, including failure to deliver trackpad pinch and zoom gestures. (50145462)
- When sending Mail attachments via MessageUI, each attachment might appear as two icons when viewed by the recipient. (50369995)
- Controls drawn with accent color incorrectly maintain their active color when the window is inactive. There is no need to work around this in your app. (50563638)
- For Mac Catalyst apps to save to Photos Library, explicitly linking the Photos framework is required. (50781430)
- Action and share extensions might exhibit visual anomalies. (51005363)
- All assets at 3x scale factor are currently ignored when compiling the asset catalog for Mac Catalyst apps. Because the search begins with the universal asset, assets for a specific memory or graphics class won’t be found. For example, if you provide an image and only give a 6GB and Metal 5v1 asset, it won’t be found at runtime. It’s recommended that you provide all images as vectors to allow generation of the correct scale factors, or at minimum provide 2x versions of the assets. If you’re classifying resources based on memory and graphics families then you should provide “Any Memory” and “Any Graphics”. (51033745)
CXActioninstances might return an error. (51074735)
- When creating a Mac Catalyst app from your iPad app, Xcode automatically generates a unique Mac bundle identifier. If you have an existing Mac bundle identifier you’d prefer to use, you can do so by using manual signing in Xcode. (51076014)
Follow these steps to configure your project, AppID, and provisioning profile:
- Sign in to Apple Developer, then select Certificates, Identifiers, and Profiles.
- In the Identifiers section, select your iOS app identifier to edit.
- Check the Mac Catalyst capability to enable it, then click the Configure button.
- Choose Use an existing macOS AppID and select the identifier you’d like to use from the popup menu. Click the Save button to finish editing your AppID.
- In the Profiles section, click the + button to create a new profile, select ‘macOS App Development’, and click Continue.
- Select your iOS AppID from the popup, click Continue, and complete the rest of the profile creation flow. When finished, click the Download button.
- In Xcode, select your project to view the Project Editor and select your app’s target. Then select the Build Settings tab.
- Set the Derive Mac Catalyst Product Bundle Identifier setting to No.
- Expand the Product Bundle Identifier build setting to view its configurations. Next to the Debug configuration, click the + button to add a conditional value.
- For the build setting condition, select Any macOS from the popup menu. Edit the value of the conditional build setting to match the macOS bundle identifier you want to use. Repeat this step for all configurations in your project.
- In the Signing & Capabilities tab, uncheck Automatically manage signing.
- For your macOS app, select Import Profile from the Provisioning Profile popup and then select the profile you downloaded earlier.
- Opening a CloudKit share URL now launches a Mac Catalyst app that’s present on the system. The system also now takes the user to the appropriate App Store page to download an app which isn’t present on the system. (50877241)
- When your Mac Catalyst app is launched directly into the background, it no longer experiences all the state transitions of a regular app launch — such as
did Finish Launching With Options:)
application— followed by state transitions to return to background state from there —
Did Become Active(_:)
Will Resign Active(_:)
application. Now your app will receive only
Did Enter Background(_:)
application, and only if it wasn’t already running. (50742219)
Did Finish Launching(_:)