A woman dies in Kerala after eating Kuzhimanthi

0
15

Another suspected food poisoning case in Kerala, this time in Kasaragod, where a 20-year-old woman died on Saturday after consuming Kuzhimanthi, a biryani dish from a local hotel.

Anju Sreeparvathy of Perumbala village in Kasaragod died nearly a week after eating a local biryani dish she ordered online from a restaurant called Romansia in Kasaragod on December 31. According to the police, the woman had been receiving treatment since then, but she died this morning. “A case has been registered after her parents filed the complaint. The girl died early Saturday morning,” police told PTI. Further action will be taken based on the post-mortem report.

The woman was initially treated at a private hospital in Kerala before being transferred to another hospital in Mangaluru, Karnataka, where she died. After the incident, the state Health Minister Veena George, ordered a probe into the incident. “Directions have been issued to the Food Safety Commissioner to file a report with regard to the incident. The DMO is also looking into the incident and the treatment given to the girl,” George told reporters in Pathanamthitta.

She also stated that under the Food Safety and Standards Act, the licences of hotels accused of food poisoning would be revoked (FSSA). This is the second incident of its kind this week. Previously, a nurse at Kottayam Medical College died allegedly after consuming food from a Kozhikode eatery. According to police, around 21 people became ill in the same area last December after allegedly consuming food from a nearby restaurant.

Over 100 people in Pathanamthitta suffered from suspected food poisoning on January 1 after allegedly eating at a baptism function in a church near Keezhvaipur, according to police.